the PG 'in house' backup with PGdebt8X
technical bulletin 19
This bulletin covers PG8X only
( with the Internet licensing system
If you have PG8X you will be aware of the Internet licensing
system which it uses. This is working well but the extra files it needs
do cause a minor problem in the event that you need to restore PG8X from backup.
This only applies to the PG "in house" backup.
Please be aware that the "in house" backup is designed
to backup a PC and restore again to the same PC if there has been a problem,
it is not designed to restore to another PC (i.e. to move the program to another
PC) If you use the backup to restore to a different PC, one of two things will
- If you have an Internet license, ( PG8XW-xxxx-xxxx-xx
) your license code will cut off the original PC, so be quite sure that you
want this to happen.
- If you have a manual conventional license (PG8XX-xxxx-xxxx-xx)
then it simply wont work on the new PC. You cannot move the conventional license.
If you wish to restore
to a different PC, please follow the procedure in Tech Bulletin 18.
If you need to restore from the PG8X
in house backup on the same PC, proceed as follows:
- Reinstall PG8X from your installation CD
- Run the program and reconfigure the license key using
the original key used on that PC
- Click Options/supervisor/files-paths
- Reset the backup file location (bottom box) to your backup
file location drive letter
- Click to the backup tab and set the "restore" options.
Click the button and complete the restore
- PGdebt will shut down and should run normally on restart
with old settings back in place
If there is a problem
- Close down PGdebt
- Locate the file C:\pgdebt8\pgdebt8.exe.cm.ini
- Delete this file
- Reinstall again from the CD NB.
Do NOT repeat the "restore"...just reinstall again
- Run the program and reconfigure the license with the original
key again if required
All should now be OK
Remember that if you use the wrong license key...another PC
will get cut off...take care...use the same license key...the program recognises
the PC and the key